Studies undertaken in India

2001 – Central Labour Institute (CLI) conducted an Occupational Health and Environmental Study in M/s Visaka Industries Ltd., Medak Dist., Andhra Pradesh -established in 1985.

A total of 99 workers were subjected to medical examinations and investigations and the study revealed no cases of possible asbestosis out of the workers examined.

2002 – Central Labour Institute (CLI) conducted Occupational Health and Environmental Study in M/s Hyderabad Industries Ltd., Jasidih, Jharkhand – established in 1979.

A total of 82 workers were examined and the study revealed no cases of possible asbestosis out of the workers examined.

2003 – Regional Labour Institute (RLI) conducted Occupation Health studies at M/s UAL Bengal, and at M/s Neelachal Resource Pvt.Ltd., both in Midnapore, West Bengal. These units were established in 1999 and 1997 respectively.

A total of 101 workers were subjected to general medical examination and investigations through random sampling. In both these units no cases of asbestos related disorder were diagnosed during the conduct of the study.

2004 – The Central Labour Institute (CLI) conducted a National Study on Health Status of Workers in the Asbestos Industry”. This study was carried out in 8 Chrysotile industrial units out of which 5 units were manufacturing Asbestos Cement Products using Chrysotile and other 3 units were engaged in manufacture of brake linings.

A total of 702 workers in the age groups of 20 to 50 years who were subjected to exposure between 6 to 20 years were studied. No established cases of asbestosis were detected during the Study.

2005 – CLI conducted a National Study on Status of Work Environment in Asbestos Products Manufacturing Industry- Evaluation of Airborne Asbestos Fibres. This study was carried out in 12 units, 6 units manufacturing Asbestos Cement Sheets, 3 manufacturing Asbestos Cement Pipes and 3 units manufacturing Friction materials and other products like, brake assembly and millboard. All these units were using Chrysotile fibre.

The study concluded that concentrations of airborne asbestos fibres in 75% of the units studied (manufacturing Chrysotile cement products) were less than 0.5 f/cc while remaining 25% units manufacturing friction materials and other products, the concentration of airborne fibres were between 0.5f/cc to 1f/cc, but nowhere the fibre concentration exceeded the PLE of 1f/cc.

Conclusion
From the above it will be observed that during the period 2001-2005 studies undertaken, no cases of asbestosis were detected while working in the units manufacturing Asbestos Cement products using Chrysotile variety of Asbestos.